Meet Your Missionary- The Rev. Doug Childress
By: Sherri Gragg - En Español
The Texas Annual Conference Center for Missional Excellence welcomed the Rev. Doug Childress and his wife, Kulli Toniste, UMC Global missionaries to Estonia, on Friday, June 15th with a reception at the Conference Mission Center in Conroe. Childress was also hosted by Chapelwood UMC June 15th-16th.
As a missionary with UMC Global Missions, Childress serves in one of the most challenging mission fields in the world. “According to the BBC, Estonia is the least religious country on earth,” Childress said. “Many people are not open to Christianity and hold commitment to God in disdain. It can be a very difficult culture in which to share the Gospel. This is one reason Christian education in Estonia is so important.”
It is time to “Meet Your Missionary!”
Name: The Rev. Doug Childress
Spouse: Kulli Toniste
Children: Three sons- Karl, Kristofer, and Kaley
- Bachelor of Arts degree in legal studies from Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan
- Master of Divinity degree from Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, Kentucky
Assignment:Estonia Provisional Annual Conference. Missionary with the General Board of Global Ministries of The United Methodist Church serving as pastor of international ministry in Tallinn, Estonia. Lecturer in church history and practical theology at Baltic Methodist Theological Seminary.
- Teaching church history, and worship at the seminary.
- Leading an English-speaking ministry- Acts 2 English-Speaking Ministry
Books That Have Impacted His Ministry:Biographies of John Wesley, William Booth, and Martin Luther.
Vision for Future Ministry:Childress hopes to grow his English-speaking ministry through targeted advertising on college campuses.
- Pray for his three young sons as they adjust to life in Estonia.
- Pray for God to raise up more people to connect with European missions.