Houston Immigrant Rights Hotline
Please help spread the word in your immigrant communities and organizations working with immigrants about Houston's Immigrant Rights Hotline. The hotline is staffed by volunteer attorneys from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The hotline can answer calls in ANY LANGUAGE! The hotline is a project of the Houston Immigration Legal Services Collaborative, Houston Volunteer Lawyers, the ACLU of Texas, Tahirih Justice Center, and Vinson & Elkins. 1-888-507-2970.
The goals of this hotline are to provide reliable information to the immigrant communities and to provide referrals to free/low-cost services, as well as information about hiring private attorneys, and warning about notario fraud. Another goal of this hotline is to help organizations that might be overwhelmed with callers asking for information about family preparedness, DACA updates, and the like. Please refer callers to the hotline! Suggestion: Try transferring the call over while you have the caller on the line! 1-888-507-2970.
The hotline volunteer attorneys:
- Give information about immigration updates
- Give Know Your Rights information!
- Refer callers to attorneys who may be able to help (ie: NGOs and AILA)
- Explain how to assert one?s rights in case of a home raid
- Give information about how to prepare a family in case of deportation
- Help find an individual in detention
- Explain the detention and deportation processes
- Give information to refugees/asylees about interviews with DHS/FBI
- And more!
- But note: they DO NOT give individualized consultations
And if you are an attorney & want to volunteer, sign up today https://portal.makejusticehappen.org/signups/Hotline.aspx