Oklahoma Disaster Response
Dear Members of the Texas Annual Conference:
Thank you; thank you; thank you for your amazing and ongoing generosity! What a privilege to serve such faithful followers of Jesus who repeatedly give beyond measure to those in need. Thanks to your generosity, we have collected and are distributing more than $108,000 for West, Texas.
Now, the people of Oklahoma need us and I know you will respond generously once again. Here is how you can help:
1. Pray. Pray for the families who have lost their children and other loved ones. Pray for the children who have lost friends and family members. Pray for those who have lost all they own. Pray for the community, for healing and hope. Pray for the response and relief workers, and the teachers and others who valiantly sought to protect the children in their care. Pray that all will experience the love and comfort of God and that God’s kingdom will come on earth even as it is in heaven.
2. Give as generously as you can. What is needed most are cash donations. We are recommending that checks be sent to the Texas Annual Conference so that we can make sure that funds are used in Oklahoma and for spring storms that may follow in our area. We will send funds for Oklahoma through the Bishop’s office in the Oklahoma Conference.
· We are asking local congregations to take up a special offering for Oklahoma and spring storms that may follow. The offering can be sent in one check from the church, made out to the Texas Annual Conference and sent to the Conference office at 5215 Main Street, Houston, Texas 77002. Memo line: Oklahoma/spring storms.
· Make a $10 donation by texting RESPONSE to 80888. (These donations will go to the general Domestic Disaster fund for UMCOR, Advance # 901670 )
· Bring your checkbooks to Annual Conference and be prepared to give generously to the offering for Oklahoma/Spring Storms during the Service of Ordination and Commissioning on Tuesday evening May 28, 2014.
· For those wanting to give to UMCOR, funds will go into the general fund for Domestic Disasters. That Advance number is 901670.
3. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THE DISASTER SITES. You will not be allowed in. We must wait until we are invited. If and when we receive an invitation to send response teams, you will be notified and TACCOR will assist you with organizing teams.
Thank you again for your faithfulness and generosity. You are a blessing to so many!
Rev. Diane McGehee
See Letter (PDF)