This Week in Texas Methodist History
Bell and Granville Families Donate Land for Church, April 26, 1839.
Settlers in the Republic of Texas were cash poor but land rich. Abel Stevens took advantage of that fact in his brief missionary visit to Texas and solicited donations of land for the Methodist Episcopal Church.
On April 26, 1839, two couples, Thomas and Abigail Bell and Benjamin and Nancy Granville, responded to the solicitation and donated two tracts of land on the banks of Piney Creek in central Austin County for the use of the Methodist Episcopal Church. That donation led to the formation of a church that is now known as Bellville United Methodist Church...