St. John's UMC Texas City Breaks Ground on New Church Building

Date Posted: 8/11/2011

On a Sunday afternoon in July, St. John’s UMC of Texas City broke ground on a new church building. The original building was destroyed by a fire on September 10, 2009. After the fire, St. John’s met at Calvary Baptist Church until May of this year. The church now meets at the Mall of the Mainland.


A combination of the church’s oldest and newest members had the honor of turning the first ceremonial shovels of sand. Three members of the church’s recent confirmation class joined eight of the original charter members from the formation of the church in 1958. “Bringing our newest members together with our founders was a way we could demonstrate that we are proud of our heritage and excited about our future,” says Pastor Mike Tyson.


The new building will be located at 25th Avenue and Amburn Road, one block north of the College of the Mainland and next door to the Hearthstone Assisted Living Center. This is a new location for St. John’s. After the fire, the church decided to relocate to a different part of Texas City in order to minister to the families moving into the fastest growing part of the city.


The original church building, built in 1961, had been located at 1432 16th Avenue North in Texas City. Although the decision to relocate was a difficult one for the congregation, charter member Ben Bozeman summed it up by saying, “Fifty years ago we built on what was then the edge of town because that’s where the growth was. That’s what we’re doing again today.” The new building will contain a worship center that will seat 300, a children’s wing, a

youth facility, and a full service kitchen. The worship center will be used for other functions such as meals, concerts and other gatherings. The new building has a planned completion date of spring, 2012, just in time for worship services for Easter.


St. John’s UMC is a member of the Southeast District of the Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. Dr. Roy James is the District Superintendent; Bishop Janice Riggle Huie leads the Annual Conference. If you would like additional information about the project, contact the church pastor, Rev. Mike Tyson, at 409-948-2466 or the church lay leader, Gary Scoggin, at 409-771-1345.