LINK for Sunday of Blessing
What is “A Sunday of Blessing”?
It’s simple – pick a Sunday before school starts and get ready to bless school supplies for those in need, students returning to the classroom and the teachers and staff who make a difference every day for our children.
Churches across our area wants to make a difference and to help every child have the best possible experience returning to the classroom.
What can my church do?
• Pick a date for your church to host a blessing of the backpacks. A conference-wide Back-to-School Sunday will be held on Aug. 18 this year. If there’s a time that’s more in tune with a nearby school, make an arrangement that works for your congregation.
• Check out the TAC’s resources. There are free graphics, social media posts, a pastor’s blog and ideas for making Back-to-School Sunday a success.
• Spread the excitement about donating and volunteering. These children are tomorrow’s faith leaders. Let’s give them all the tools possible to develop into educated disciples.
• Show thanks for faculty and school staff. Don’t forget about those individuals who are in the trenches with students everyday. Why not host a special worship service recognizing their efforts? Childcare providers, daycares and nurseries can be included.
• Consider something special for the students. Some churches have a tradition of blessing students before a new school year. If your congregation does not already, take time out to show your support for your youngest members.
• Don’t forget the schools that already exist inside of church. A number of campuses offer day school, nurseries, childcare or mother’s day out. The faculty and staff right at church can become the subject of a special Sunday blessing.
Regardless of how you decide to show your support, help start the school year on the right foot — with a blessing.