Southwest District Lay Servant Academy
Friday, October 16, 2020 to Saturday, October 17, 2020
2020 HYBRID Lay Servant Academy Opportunities
When: October 16-17, 2020
Where: If attending in person, you will be at First UMC Brookshire located at 707 Cooper, Brookshire, Tx 77423.
Course Options: Basic Course: This course provides the foundation to discover and employ spiritual gifts and teaches the importance of exercising servant leadership and will be taught by Rev. Sue Lyle. Rev. Lyle is pastor at First UMC Brookshire. Participants will be asked to prepare a 5-minutes devotion to share in the class.
Book: "Lay Servant Ministries Basic Course Participant's Book" by Brian & Sandy Jackson
Advanced Course - Spiritual Gifts: This course focuses on learning more about your spiritual gifts and how the church can use them to fulfill its mission and ministry and will be taught by Jobby Johnson. Mr. Johnson, a member of The Harvest UMC in Missouri City, is the Director of the Committee on Lay Servant Ministries for the Southwest District and is a Certified Lay Speaker.
Book: "Each One A Minister" by William J. Carter
What materials do I need:
Please bring your book, Bible and pen/paper (and be sure to read your book ahead of time)
Friday, October 16 6:00 pm Registration/Check-In
6:30-8:30 pm Class Time
Saturday, October 17 8:30 am Classes begin
12:00 pm Lunch
4:30 pm Commitment Service in the Sanctuary (invite your pastor to take part in this service)
Details You Need To Know!
- You must complete all 10 hours (both days) to receive certification.
- The in-person registration fee is $25, which includes snacks on both days as well as a light breakfast & lunch on Saturday.
- The online registration fee is $10, which helps cover the use of the church building where leaders will utilize Zoom.
- Neither registration fee includes the costs of the book. NOTE: You must purchase that on your own prior to the academy. Be sure to order your book in plenty of time!
- For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org