Staff Accountant - Central Texas Conference
The Central Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church has an immediate opening for as Staff Accountant. This is a full-time, salaried position which reports to the Conference Comptroller / Treasurer.
The mission of the Central Texas Conference (CTC) is to energize and equip the local churches of the Conference so that they may most effectively engage in our mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. While the Staff Accountant’s primary function is to be the detail transaction person (cash receipts, cash disbursements, general ledger, payroll, etc.) for the Treasurer, the Central Texas Conference Service Center works as a cross-functional team, so this role is ideal for a goal-oriented team player.
Please send cover letters and resumes to Greg Carey at P.O. Box 50517, Fort Worth, Texas 76105 or via email at email@example.com. The team will begin conducting the interview process with receipt of potential candidates meeting the position requirements
Position is full time. Candidate will have the following primary responsibilities:
· Accounts receivable, including daily posting of scanned checks / online remittances, updating cash spreadsheet, preparing deposit, maintain donor database, file remittance reports, answer inquiries, etc.
· Accounts payable – receive / verify check requests and process, mail payments, maintain payment file, maintain vendor file, track 1099 vendors and payments, report any new / unusual disbursements, fie payment documentation, vendor inquiries
· General ledger – monthly credit card statements distributed / posted, post journal entries, balance bank statements, run budget and designated fund reports
· Payroll – process bi-monthly employee payroll
· Pension / health benefits – cross-train with pension / health benefits person to be a backup when needed. Handle benefit and compensation processes and procedures which includes data maintenance and collaborate with pension / benefits person for maintaining benefit billing and payments.
· Other – attend weekly staff meeting, Annual Conference duties, assist in preparation for audit, and keep treasurer informed of large / unusual transactions, other duties as assigned
The primary purpose of the Staff Accountant is to be the detail transaction person (cash receipts, cash disbursements, general ledger, payroll, etc.) for the Treasurer. This person is also expected to cross-train with the pensions / benefits person to be the backup for that person when that person is out or high workload calls for additional help.
The successful candidate must be able to work both independently and collaboratively. The candidate must have accounting knowledge and experience. Experience with payroll, pensions, and healthcare is a plus. Experience with church accounting software preferred, especially Shelby.
- Accounting Bachelor degree preferred
- 5-7+ years experience
- Non-profit accounting, reporting and clergy payroll experience a plus
- Shelby Next experience a plus
EXAMPLES OF ATTRIBUTES AND BEHAVIORS EXPECTED IN OUR EMPLOYEES:
- Display empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Work effectively with colleagues by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain proficiency as needed and attend approved trainings, reading job-related materials, and meeting with others in area of responsibility.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interactions.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety. Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
Minimum physical exertion. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is
frequently required to sit, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools or controls.
The position requires some mobility. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 5-10 pounds on a regular basis and up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 50% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, mouse, calculator and similar machines.
A blend of remote and onsite office working environment. Usual office working conditions apply. The noise level in the work environment is typical of most office environments. Infrequent weekend hours to work on accounting documents as well as mandatory Annual Conference attendance is to be expected.
Benefits for full time employees may include health plan benefits, holidays, paid time off and
retirement plan opportunities per conference policy.
The Central Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church is an equal opportunity employer