Part-time Director of Children's Ministry, Westminster UMC
Director of Children’s Ministries
The Director of Children’s Ministries is responsible for the development and implementation of programs for the spiritual development of children in the church from infancy to second grade. The focus of the Children’s Ministry is to plant the seed of Jesus’s love in the hearts of children, teach them to love God and make friends, and help them develop a servant’s heart. The Director of Children’s Ministries reports to the Director of Programming.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Work at least 10-12 hours in the office a week, and on average a total of 24 hours of work a week. The other 10-12 hours can be spent on Sunday mornings, little chapels, meeting with parents, planning lessons and programming, or having events.
- Develop and coordinate Sunday School classes for children ages 18 mo. through second grade, including recruiting Sunday School teachers
- Develop and deliver a children’s message every other Sunday at the Contemporary and Traditional worship services.
- Develop and deliver a weekly children’s lesson for Day School little chapels on Tuesday and Wednesday Mornings from September-May.
- Develop and deliver a monthly chapel service to children and parents at the Day School October-April.
- Communicate with the parents of children involved in WUMC in person, via email, flyers and newsletters.
- On a weekly basis you will do routine desk tasks-emails, birthday cards, attendance reporting, contacting the families, make time for intentional relationship building with parents, and prepping for any events coming up.
- Create 1 fellowship activity each semester for littles and older children, and 2 each summer for children in both age groups.
- Coordinate childcare when requested for church events/meetings
- Attend regularly and specially called staff or leadership meetings, as needed and able.
- Work with the Director of Programming to implement discipleship programs. The Children’s Director works directly with the Director of Programming and Westminster kids Director to create a unified curriculum for discipleship and spiritual formation.
- Collaborate with the Director of Programming, Event coordinator and the Westminster kids Director on events such as summer kids camps, Palm Sunday Festival, Parent’s Night Out and other social/recreational activities.
- You will be the point person for creating the programming for the children’s summer camps and recruiting volunteers. The Director of Programming will collaborate with you on the camps.
- Hire, train, and supervise nursery and childcare staff. The Director of programming will work with you on hiring the childcare staff.
- Work with the Director of Programming to prepare, submit and administer a children ministries budget and annual goals.
- Must love children and have a passion for them to know Jesus as their Savior.
- Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology and have a passion for children and furthering the discipleship process.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a children’s ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with children, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Willingness to work cooperatively with others, to maintain a positive outlook and disposition, and to be flexible in solving problems.
- Completion of college-level or higher coursework is desired.
- Must be able to pass a background check
Contact: Kaisi Cunningham
5801 San Felipe
Houston, TX 77057
Deadline: May 1st