Mission Center: Volunteer Host
Status: Part-time, Variable Hours, Not to Exceed 19 hours per week. 1 year contract. 2nd and 3rd year contingent upon performance and receipt of grant funds
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
Office location: Houston, TX
Lake Jackson, TX
Position Summary: The volunteer host provides the initial reception of volunteer teams and ensures they are welcomed and have adequate housing and access to food, etc. Ensures volunteer teams are familiar with area.
Essential Job Requirements:
- An appreciation of the nature and mission of the Church is essential;
- completion of a disaster recovery case management specific curriculum;
- safety screening as evidenced by a background check;
- available to work a flexible schedule, including evening and weekend hours to meet client and volunteer availability;
- able to maintain ethical conduct in accordance with organizational policy;
- conduct business in a manner consistent with the mission, values and policies of the organization;
- able to maintain high standards for protecting client information, sharing confidential information only as agreed upon by the client and as evidenced by a signed release form;
- able to work calmly and effectively to resolve conflicts in sensitive situations;
- able to work collaboratively with others;
- computer literate, able to utilize word processing, database, and spreadsheet software and demonstrate ability to learn new and/or customized software;
- possess excellent communication skills both written and verbal;
- be organized and prepared for reports, meetings, briefings, and conversations with clients, staff, external partners and volunteers;
- ability to supervise and motivate volunteers appropriately, including conflict resolution;
- unquestioned confidentiality with sensitive financial and personal information;
- possess no outside business interest that may conflict with the client or the organization’s goals and objectives;
- demonstrate helpful inter-personal skills, such as:
- genuine care and respect for individuals, families, and communities served;
- awareness of the impact of the disaster on the community, the family and the individual;
- effective listening and interviewing skills;
- cultural competence relative to the population served;
- sensitivity to the needs of individuals and families in crisis;
- ability to maintain appropriate service boundaries;
Essential Job Functions:
- Greets volunteer teams upon arrival.
- Communicate effectively with Volunteer Coordinator and Construction Coordinator to ensure teams are assigned appropriately.
- Work with local host churches to ensure readiness to receive teams as specified.
- Provide volunteer teams with orientation to area and ensures they have access to items and information to make their stay as pleasant as possible.
- Answers questions from host churches and volunteer teams about requirements for stay.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle to be able to drive long distances in all areas within the services’ area.
- Constant interaction with internal and external third parties for the purpose of collecting and distributing information.
- Adaptability to environmental factors, including noises, odors, variable climate, etc.
- Spends over 80% of time sitting; remainder of time includes walking, standing;
- Occasional lifting (5 - 10 lbs) and climbing stairs
- Must work cooperatively and collaboratively with colleagues, clients and other agencies involved in the recovery.