Director of Traditional Music - Point Washington UMC Santa Rosa Beach, FL
About Point Washington United Methodist Church:
Point Washington United Methodist Church (PWUMC) is a thriving community of faith in the 6th fastest growing county in the United States. An historic congregation of the United Methodist Church, Point Washington UMC offers both traditional and contemporary worship services and engages members in mission and outreach within our community and beyond. We are a church home to locals, part-time residents, and visitors because of our unique location on the shores of paradise – between the Choctawhatchee Bay and the beautiful white beaches of Florida’s 30A!
General Description: The Director of Traditional Music (DTM) is a part-time position on the lay staff of the church with the overall responsibility for the planning, organization and execution of music ministry for traditional worship services. This music ministry should be consistent with the faith and theological precepts of the United Methodist Church. The DTM works directly with the pastors, staff, musicians and volunteers, in a team approach, to provide the highest level of worship experience. They must be a committed follower of Jesus Christ while being a positive and inspirational leader. The presumed priority of every PWUMC staff position is to work with joy as a member of the body of Christ who performs his/her particular tasks to the glory of God, ultimately resulting in making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Ability to lead dynamic and inspiring music helping persons experience true worship through music and for the ultimate purpose of glorifying God.
- Exhibit strong people skills that inspire the musicians involved in the music ministry.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of music in both traditional worship, which includes: choir, ensembles, soloists, instrumentalists.
- Coordinate and help plan music for weekly Sunday worship and special worship services throughout the year including services that are relevant to sermon series/church-wide initiatives and special worship services such as Holy Week, Cantatas, Advent, Christmas Eve etc. Select music, recruit and/or hire musicians, and schedule adequate rehearsal time for these services.
- Organize choir and ensembles, choose music, and schedule rehearsals and performance times for each of these groups.
- Provide leadership for congregational singing in traditional services, choir anthem and communion liturgy.
- Conduct the choir in morning traditional worship service and in weekly rehearsals.
- Recruit, train, expand, and enrich the choir and other musician’s music skills.
- Provide necessary reporting to various staff and agencies for compliance with music copyright and usage agreements.
- Coordinate music worship with the pastors, accompanist, choir, audio/visual staff and others who may be responsible for the planning and leading of worship.
- PWUMC Concert Series - Plan, coordinate and advertise for musical groups to perform for our church and community as part of our church’s outreach.
- Supervise, recruit and hire a variety of instrumentalists to participate in worship for all services.
- Gather inventory and financial information to provide a recommended budget each year.
- Select, purchase, file, and care for the music library for the church.
- Supervise and keep the pianist informed of services, rehearsals, and type/quality of music required for worship. Recruit volunteers or hire substitutes for when they are absent.
- Coordinate the maintenance and care of pianos, choral robes, and music supplies.
- Upload weekly music selections for the bulletin into Church Community Builder.
- Provide a substitute director for any absences from worship services.
- Attend appropriate meetings to include Church Council meetings and staff meetings to represent the concerns of music and worship.
- Participate in special workshops and continuing education programs related to choir direction, music in worship and worship design, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary Range: $28,500 - $35, 500 (annually). Salary negotiable based on experience.
Supervision: This position is under the direct supervision of the senior pastor.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Strong Christian commitment and belief in PWUMC’s mission, methods and principles
- Knowledge of varieties of church music and their application in traditional worship services
- Strong conducting and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in order to communicate well with choir members and congregation members
- Ability to recruit, train, and inspire volunteers as choir members, soloists, and instrumentalists
- Have a caring attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate an agreeable, cooperative and positive attitude to facilitate working cooperatively with all ministries of the church
- Bachelor’s degree in music related field (preferred)
- Five years of experience in a similar or related position (preferred)
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to the attention of Rev. Amy Persons at email@example.com. Both cover letter and resume are necessary for an application to be reviewed.