Director of Student Ministry - Lakewood UMC
The Director of Student Ministry oversees ministry for students grades 6-12. They develop strategies and teams of adult leaders to help students become fully formed disciples of Jesus.
*Evaluate, plan, communicate and implement annually a vision and ministry plan for student ministry.
*Discover, develop, and deploy adult leaders to lead students
*Provide direction for teaching and preaching with students for Wednesday night worship and Sunday school
*Maintain Wednesday evening environment for students to connect with friends and Jesus
*Develop and execute Confirmation program
*Promote and attend Winter Retreat. This includes creating a sign up, collecting necessary paperwork, collecting registration fees, and planning transportation to the retreat.
*Plan and execute Senior Roast
*Create and manage student ministry budget, including discretionary funds
*Direct UM ARMY (summer high school mission trip) – Promote and attend. This includes creating a sign up, collecting necessary paperwork, collecting registration fees, and planning transportation to the retreat on behalf of Lakewood, as well as directing the camp while there.
*Promote and attend middle school summer mission opportunity. This includes creating a sign up, collecting necessary paperwork, collecting registration fees, and planning transportation to the retreat.
* Promote and attend Revive Summer Camp. This includes creating a sign up, collecting necessary paperwork, collecting registration fees, and planning transportation to the retreat.
*Regularly communicate all student ministry happenings, including developing an annual calendar for distribution
*Primary overseer of the pumpkin patch fundraiser in October. This entails coordinating with the Hirikata Farms to have pumpkins delivered, coordinating set up of the patch, recruiting volunteers to work shifts, recruiting weekly patch “managers”, depositing funds collected, and cleaning up from the patch when it’s over. Work with Director of Music Ministry on all of this.
*Support students by attending their extracurricular activities
*Provide other opportunities for students to be in relationship with each other and adult leaders
*Work with contemporary worship leader to put together Easter Sunrise service
*Execute assembly of Flower Cross every Easter. This entails ordering flowers, putting cross up, and recruiting students and adults to help put the flowers on the cross
*Maintain student ministry website including trip and event sign ups
*Ensure Safe Sanctuary process is being followed and volunteers are properly trained and background checked
*Work with chair of scholarship committee to facilitate high school seniors applying for college scholarships
*Supervises other student ministry staff (assistant director, admin assistant, summer interns)
• Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values, and beliefs of Lakewood United Methodist Church and have the ability to communicate and teach these to others.
• Professional Skills: Demonstrates passion and calling ministry with students and their families.
• Exhibits proficiency in planning, management and implementation of a multi-faceted ministry. Views and promptly acknowledges emails, text messages, and voicemail regularly.
• Spiritual, Emotional and Professional Maturity: Demonstrates emotional and spiritual maturity. Regularly practices spiritual disciplines.
• Awareness: Alert and aware of how the Student Ministry impacts the overall ministry of the church, and works to integrate it into the life of the overall church.
• Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to take the initiative. Demonstrates the skills of active listening and openly accepts criticism and it teachable. Productively engages and resolves interpersonal conflict. Holds others accountable in a spirit of love. Engages people positively, with a demeanor of optimism and abundance.
• Team Building Skills: Guides adult leaders to help students connect with and follow Jesus. Works with teams of adults and students to develop systems and strategies for the ministry. Listens to others well and, when appropriate, incorporates their ideas into the ministry work being done.
• Management Skills: Demonstrates commitment and flexibility when working with laity and staff. Understands his/her leadership style and temperament type and adapts leadership behaviors to meet the needs of the situation. Organizes resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done.
• Leadership Development: Is a good judge of talent and spiritual giftedness. Has some discernment how people are likely to perform in a variety of settings. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments for developing leaders. Stretches people to try new skills and accept new level of responsibility. Develops leadership teams for the work of the ministry.
• Process Management: Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow.
• Task Completion: Follow through with people/tasks until end result is achieved and then evaluated.
• Problem Solving: Has a basic understanding of management principles. Uses logic and methods to solve difficult problems and effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; desire and ability to look beyond the obvious.
Preferred Bachelor’s Degree, 3 years of student ministry experience. Larger church student ministry experience preferred.
Able to drive a car.
Able to speak in a public setting.
Able to lift 50lbs.
For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org