Director of Operations - St. Mark's UMC, Houston (Pecore)
The Director of Operations will work directly with lay leadership and staff to implement, support and align the church’s resources (human, physical and fiscal). Qualified candidates should possess strong business acumen, sound operational experience and exceptional leadership/ team building skills.
- In consultation with the Pastor, Trustees, Finance Committee, and Staff-Parish Relations Committee, implement/maintain a process for conducting the business affairs of the Church in a manner consistent with being a congregation of the United Methodist Church.
- Provide on-site management of the business operations of the church which shall include:
- Oversee the accounting and accuracy of all financial functions and recordkeeping.
- Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of physical facilities, buildings and grounds.
- Work with Senior Pastor to ensure all operations are in keeping with the overall vision of the church.
- Coordinate the production of the church budget, providing assistance and information to Pastor, Finance Team, Church Council, Trustees and other committees as needed
- Maintain bank documentation current on all accounts
- Oversee and administer (in coordination with the Endowment Committee) all St. Mark’s endowed funds and holdings at Heartspring and TMF.
- Assist with capital campaigns, yearly stewardship campaigns and other related projects
- Review financial condition periodically with Treasurer, Finance Chair, and Pastor.
- Prepare financial information for Annual Reporting and Church Conference
- Provide operational support to program ministries
- Christ-centered: gives their best to serve others; exhibits humility, compassion and forgiveness; models Christian discipleship through the regular practice of spiritual disciplines.
- Organized: is able to effectively manage multiple projects, maintain accurate records and provide appropriate and timely information to the staff and lay leaders as needed.
- Servant Leader: generates enthusiasm in others; delegates routine and important tasks, decisions, responsibilities and accountability; maintains strict confidentiality.
- Responsible and self-motivated: Able to organize and manage the workload and schedule; has a proven record of being punctual and prepared.
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Ability to utilize technology relevant to this position, e.g. personal computer (email, word processing, membership database, internet, etc.), Quickbooks,
- Director of Operations reports to the Senior Pastor
- Director of Operations supervises the financial secretary, office assistant, custodial/maintenance staff, other support staff
- Director of Operations interfaces with Finance Team, Endowment Committee, Trustees and Church Council
- Degree or professional certification in related field, or significant work experience in nonprofit finance and administration
- Position is part-time (15-20 hours/week), with flexible hours that may include evening and weekend meetings in addition to office hours (Office is open M-Th 8:30-4:30)
- Starting salary of $18,000-$20,000/year
St. Mark's United Methodist Church
600 Pecore St.
Houston, TX 77009