Director of Contemporary Music - Point Washington UMC Santa Rosa Beach, FL
About Point Washington United Methodist Church:
Point Washington United Methodist Church (PWUMC) is a thriving community of faith in the 6th fastest growing county in the United States. An historic congregation of the United Methodist Church, Point Washington UMC offers both traditional and contemporary worship services and engages members in mission and outreach within our community and beyond. We are a church home to locals, part-time residents, and visitors because of our unique location on the shores of paradise – between the Choctawhatchee Bay and the beautiful white beaches of Florida’s 30A!
General Description: The Director of Contemporary Music (DCM) is a part-time position on the lay staff of the church with the overall responsibility for the planning, organization and execution of music ministry for contemporary worship services. This music ministry should be consistent with the faith and theological precepts of the United Methodist Church. The DCM works directly with the pastors, staff, musicians and volunteers, in a team approach, to provide the highest level of worship experience. They must be a committed follower of Jesus Christ while being a positive and inspirational leader.
- Ability to lead dynamic and inspiring music helping persons experience true worship through music and for the ultimate purpose of glorifying God.
- Recruit, audition, mentor and develop praise team members seeking to involve as many congregation members as possible.
- Lead weekly rehearsals of praise band and/or other select musicians for contemporary worship.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of music in contemporary worship, regularly identifying and implementing new music.
- Coordinate music for Sunday morning worship services that is relevant to sermon series/church-wide initiatives and special worship services such as Holy Week, Advent, etc., in either a lead or supportive role.
- Provide leadership, vocally or instrumentally, for contemporary worship
- Provide necessary reporting to various staff and agencies for compliance with music copyright and usage agreements.
- Coordinate music worship with the pastors, praise band members, audio/visual staff and others who may be responsible for the planning and leading of worship.
- Gather inventory and financial information to provide a recommended budget each year.
- Upload weekly music selections for the bulletin into Church Community Builder.
- Attend appropriate meetings to include Church Council meetings and staff meetings to represent the concerns of the contemporary worship.
- Participate in special workshops and continuing education programs related to contemporary worship, music in worship, worship planning, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
The position is considered to be part-time with an average weekly expectation of 12-15 hours per week.
Salary Range: $13,750 - $19,000 (annually). Salary negotiable based on experience.
Supervision: This position is under the direct supervision of the Senior Pastor.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Strong and growing relationship with Jesus Christ and belief in PWUMC’s mission, methods and principles
- Ability to lead contemporary worship vocally and/or instrumentally
- Knowledge of contemporary music and its use in worship services
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to recruit, train, and inspire volunteers as praise band members, soloists, and/or instrumentalists
- Have a caring attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate an agreeable, cooperative and positive attitude to facilitate working cooperatively with all ministries of the church and respective staff and volunteers
- Five years of experience in a similar or related position (preferred)
Please email a cover letter and resume to the attention of Rev. Amy Persons at firstname.lastname@example.org. Both cover letter and resume are necessary for an application to be reviewed.