What is "Back to School Sunday?"
It’s simple – pick a Sunday before school starts and get ready to bless school supplies for those in need, students returning to the classroom and the teachers and staff who make a difference every day for our children.
Churches across our area want to make a difference and help every child have the best possible experience returning to the classroom.
What can my church do?
- Pick a date for your church to host a Back to School Sunday. A conference-wide Back-to-School Sunday will be held on Aug. 18 this year. If there’s a time that’s more in tune with a nearby school, make an arrangement that works for your congregation.
- Check out the TAC’s resources. There are free graphics, social media posts, a pastor’s blog and ideas for making Back-to-School Sunday a success.
- Spread the excitement about donating and volunteering. These children are tomorrow’s faith leaders. Let’s give them all the tools possible to develop into educated disciples.
- Show thanks for faculty and school staff. Don’t forget about those individuals who are in the trenches with students everyday. Why not host a special worship service recognizing their efforts? Childcare providers, daycares and nurseries can be included.
- Consider something special for the students. Some churches have a tradition of blessing students before a new school year. If your congregation does not already, take time out to show your support for your youngest members.
- Don’t forget the schools that already exist inside of church. A number of campuses offer day school, nurseries, childcare or mother’s day out. The faculty and staff right at church can become the subject of a special Sunday blessing.
Regardless of how you decide to show your support, help start the school year on the right foot -- with a blessing.
Social Media Sample Posts
Let's send our children back to school well equipped for education. Bring donations of backpacks and school supplies for the UMC's Back-to-School Sunday on Aug. 18.
#BackToSchool #FreeBackpacks #FreeSchoolSupplies
Head to church -- before you head back to the classroom. The UMC is offering free backpacks for the community on Sunday, Aug. 18 #BackToSchool #FreeBackpacks #FreeSchoolSupplies
(Be sure you include the details of where to get the school supplies and where to drop them off)
Going back to school should be fun -- not a time filled worrying about how buying school supplies could put a dent into your family's budget. The UMC is lending a helping hand -- and a free backpack with school supplies on Sunday, Aug. 18 #BackToSchool #FreeBackpacks #FreeSchoolSupplies
3We want to thank you for being right there in the trenches every day with our children. Teachers, and school administrators are invited to our special worship service on Sunday, Aug. 18. #BackToSchool
Going back to the classroom is no small feat. We're praying for student success in the upcoming school year during our Back to School Worship on Sunday, Aug. 18.. #BackToSchool #FreeBackpacks #FreeSchoolSupplies
Let's send our students off to school in style -- with a blessing from church! Join in prayer for our children on Sunday, Aug. 18.
Download these graphics to promote "Back to School Sunday" in your church!
For more information:
Contact, the Rev. Jill Daniel, Director of We Love All God’s Children at email@example.com.
Learn more about We Love All God's Children at txcumc.org/love