Attention Adult Leaders: Find Fulfillment as Camp Volunteers
Seventy-year old Eric Waid will be the first to admit that church camp is a ministry that can deeply impact participants of all ages. When Bear Creek UMC (BCUMC), Houston, was in need of another adult volunteer last summer, Eric was not thrilled to learn he was nominated. “I was worried because,” he explains, “what do I have in common with teenagers? On top of that, my family could not afford to send me to camp as a child, so I had no idea what to expect. “
Rev. Jonathan Bynum of Bear Creek UMC adds “When we were one adult short, thankfully, Eric was willing to go and after a week with the senior high, he became our biggest advocate for adults serving at camp.” “Eric admits, “I was blown away. I can say that this experience gave me so much hope for the generation coming up. These kids are our future. After the week I was exhausted but was also strangely fulfilled. I have already committed to returning and I want to convince as many men as I can to join me. If we don't, then some kids won't get the chance to experience this wonderful, safe time with friends and Christ.”
- Choir Clinic is the week of June 8 – 12, Lakeview
- All counselors must be Safe Sanctuary trained and permit a background check.
- The registration fee for counselors (adult and assistant) is $20.
- Counselors come to camp on Sunday, June 7 to meet the other counselors and camp directors, have a short training, and set up before campers arrive on Monday morning.
- Deadline for registering campers is May 18, but counselors can join the group up to the start of camp, if needed. More information can be found at www.texaschoircamp.org. To register for Choir Camp go to the Lakeview website and register online or print a registration form.
- Tri-District “Spirit Living in Me” Camp June 15-19, Lakeview
- (Central North, Central South, and Southwest Districts) Counselor Training Dates (choose one): June 2 @7 pm at First UMC Humble, June 4 @ 7 pm at Holy Covenant UMC-Katy, or June 6 @ 10 am at Trinity East UMC-Houston
- Registration is $225/counselor
- Counselors are expected to arrive at camp by 5 pm Sunday evening to prepare for camp.
- ALL counselors will need to complete the new Safe Sanctuary/Camps Training, called TrainRight and bring a copy of their certificate to camp. If you've completed this training through your church before camp, it will also apply for district camp and we will be able to access that information. Otherwise, the district will email you instructions on doing the online training upon completion of your camp registration.
- After completing online registration, you are responsible for getting your check to your church contact with a copy of your registration confirmation. Make your check out to your church. Your church will submit a group payment to camp.
- When selecting your preferred age level, please choose one from each camp. Remember you need to be at least 18 -- and 5 years older than the oldest camper in that age level:
- Elementary, grades 4-6. Counselors over age 18
- Mid Hi, grades 7-9. Counselors over age 20
- Sr Hi, grades 10-12. Counselors over age 23
- East/West “Spirit Living in Me” District Camp- June 22-26, Lakeview
1) East District on June 6 @ FUMC, Lufkin from 10 am – Noon OR
2) West District on June 13 @ FUMC, Bryan from 10 am – Noon.
- South District Camp, July 6-10
Additional camp dates are:
- North/NW June 29-July 3
- Southeast July 13-17