Historic Trinity UMC Hosts 150th Founders Day Events
On March 2, 1843, a cornerstone was laid for the first brick church in Texas, a Methodist Church. Trinity UMC was the first black church of any denomination built in Houston.
The church received a historic site marker on May 31, 1994. Sesquicentennial Year celebrations with preaching and praise are planned for the anniversary week at 6:30 p.m. nightly from February 23-25 at the church. On February 28, the Sesquicentennial Scholarship luncheon takes place at noon at the Doubletree Hilton at Hobby Airport. On Sunday, March 1, 2015, the church will at a special 150th Founders Day event at 2600 Holman Avenue. Dr. Robert McGee will lead a 10 a.m. service and guest speaker Bishop Robert Hayes, Jr., will lead a 3 p.m. service.
Trinity UMC in Houston’s Third Ward is noted for its rich stories behind an impressive series of stained glass windows, many of which have been given in memory of special individuals. The choir loft window, installed in 1950, serves as a centerpiece of the altar. Additionally, there are windows illustrating the Old and New Testaments, a black Methodist theme, early Trinity churches, an ancestor quilt, and others commemorating the choir, Holy Trinity, the Civil War and the 1917 24th Infantry. In 1994, Jean Lacy, a Dallas-based minister’s wife, was commissioned to design 12 sanctuary panels that depict the faith from creation to the crucifixion.
According to historical records shared by the Trinity UMC archive committee, the church was the origin of many impressive leaders, bishops and college presidents. Notably, the Texas Conference, (1867) Wiley College, Olivewood Cemetery, Emancipation Park and Texas Southern University had their beginnings in this great church. Suffering catastrophic damage in the storm of 1900 and a later fire, Trinity UMC rebuilt with new resolve and celebrates an incredible past with special events in the weeks ahead.
The ministers who made Trinity what it is today include: Elias Dibble, Spencer Hartwell, B.M. Taylor, Jesse H. Shackleford, J.F. Crozier, Paul Douglass, Wade H. Logan, Bishop Isaiah B. Scott, J.K. Loggins, Peter Morgan, C.C. Minegan, V.M. Cole, Wade Hamilton, Freeman Parker, L.S. Blakeney, G.A. Deslands, J.M. Johnson, A.W. Carr, Bishop Willis J. King, J.O. Williams, Charles K. Brown, Elkin B. Woolfolk, Jesse Lovell, A.J. Newton, W. L. Turner, Lee A. Thigpen. Sr., A.E. Liles, L.C. Thomas, Cosum Luster, Dr. Robert E. Hayes, Sr., C.S. Weaver, C.N. Bonner, C.C. Jammer, Sr., Dr. Lewis L. Jackson, Sr. and Dr. Robert E. McGee.
See information about Trinity's historical stained glass windows