UMM Expand Ministries
United Methodist Men will expand their ministries to include DISCIPLE Bible Study in prisons, packaging events for Stop Hunger Now, training webinars and new resources.
The National Association of Conference Presidents, meeting March 3-6 in
United Methodist Men prayer advocates held separate sessions to discuss ways in which they could support the Upper Room Prayer Line. Attendees contributed $10,925 for the telephone ministry and expect raise that total to $15,000. The prayer line received 266,014 calls in 2010 in addition to some 8,000 monthly e-mail messages
During the four day event, the men also participated in the commissioning of six new men’s ministry specialists who will join with 16 other previously commissioned men to help neighboring churches expand their ministries.
In other sessions, the men:
• passed a General Conference resolution in support of clergy women
• passed a General Conference resolution urging churches to expand their ministries beyond the group that meets for fellowship, prayer and study
• learned that 430,000 copies of Strength for Service to God and Country, an updated and expanded World War II book of daily devotions, have been distributed; most of the books were given to service men and women
• learned there are now 109 scouting ministry specialists helping churches understand scouting and other youth-serving agencies as a way of reaching unchurched families and ministering to the communities
• learned that 5,000 Back Packing New Testaments will be given to Boy Scouts attending Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico
• received invitations to join a South Central Jurisdictional conference July 29-31 at First United Methodist Church in Wichita, Kans.
• honored conferences that increased the number of chartered groups, the number of individual supporters of the ministry and conferences that paid 100 percent of their apportionments