De Kalb First United Methodist Church Celebrates 175
Bishop Janice Riggle Huie of the Texas Annual Conference, will participate in the worship service and will be preaching the service as the church reflects on its history with an enthusiasm for the future.
The history of
In the area between the Red and
In that same year, Methodism emerged from being an underground movement to establish churches in the
The first church building was a one-room log cabin with a fireplace made of mud and straw. It had benches made of split logs and a shutter-type window. The building was used as a school during the week and as a church on Sundays.
A larger church building was constructed in 1882 that was closer to the downtown area and the new railroad.
A third sanctuary was built in 1913 on the current church site, the corner of S. Johnson and Austin streets. Unfortunately that sanctuary burned to the ground in February 1923.
Construction on a fourth sanctuary began almost immediately and services were held in the new building on Thanksgiving Day 1923.
The church was growing, and in 1950 a two story “Educational Building Annex” was built, which continues to be used today.
The fourth sanctuary was demolished in 1965 and the current sanctuary was constructed.
The historical importance of the church was recognized in 1986 with the dedication and unveiling of a historical marker from the Texas Historical Survey Committee.
In recognition of its 175th anniversary, the church has recently published a book,
Today, De Kalb First UMC is a thriving church, known as the “Church with A Loving Heart.” With an average attendance of 145, the church emphasizes radical hospitality, risk-taking ministries, passionate worship, extravagant generosity, faith-forming relationships and prayer and Bible study.
For more information on De Kalb First UMC’s 175th anniversary, call the church at 903-667-2705 or e-mail email@example.com.