Dayton UMC Turns 150
Sunday, October 5 will be “Homecoming” for all past and current leaders and members of Dayton UMC as the church celebrates its Sesquicentennial (1864-2014). There will be a special service and music each Sunday culminating in a “Homecoming” on Oct. 5. The homecoming service will be followed by a picnic on the grounds with special gospel music and other entertainment.
According to the Dayton News, the Liberty County Historical Commission will dedicate a Sesquicentennial marker commemorating the landmark event and the history of the church and its beginnings will be shared. The first valid record of a Methodist Church in Dayton shows
a “mission” in 1863. The church was organized as Methodist Protestant Church (1830-1939) and when it merged with The Methodist Episcopal Church, South became The Methodist Church in 1939. In 1968, the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to become the United Methodist Church. A new church was built in 1928 and was replaced with the
present sanctuary and campus buildings in 1981.