2014 UMW Reading Program
The Reading Program encourages members to think critically about current issues through an annual selection of member-reviewed books. It offers an excellent opportunity to deepen your spirituality and to broaden your understanding of our mission work. Click the books above toexplore Reading Program selections and purchase online.
The Reading Program Leads to Action!
For 140 years, members of United Methodist Women and predecessor organizations have been involved in mission that includes prayer, study and action. The Reading Program is a study opportunity, but it should also lead to action. The purpose of the program is to encourage United Methodist Women members to:
- Expand understanding of and participation in God’s mission.
- Increase sensitivity to all human beings—their needs, interests and concerns.
- Encourage critical thinking about issues facing humanity today.
- Grow in understanding of Scripture as it relates to Christian faith in contemporary life.
- Enhance self-knowledge and act from that knowledge.
- Strengthen involvement in local and global Christian mission.
About the Books
Every year, we recommend a diverse range of books to broaden exposure to a variety of concepts. Books are organized into 5 categories:
The books vary in level of difficulty, type of print, and in suitability for study or discussion. To make it easy for you to find them, a variety of other books are in separate categories: