Upcoming District Training Dates for 2013
· Dr. Greg Jones will be the keynote speaker at the Central North District laity training event on January 27 at Conroe First UMC from 2 - 5 pm. For more information, contact Doris Folser at 281-895-7700.
· Strengthening Hands-on Missions Through Strategic Collaborations is the theme of the Central South District 2013 Leadership Event planned for January 27, 2-6:30 pm at FUMC Houston’s West Campus 10570 Westpark Dr.
Don’t miss special keynote guest Rudy Rasmus … a pastor, author, and global humanitarian with a passion for outreach to the world’s poorest citizens. He often says his primary spiritual gift is “hanging out.” From his previous life of owning and operating a “borderline bordello,” today Pastor Rudy co-pastors the St. John’s United Methodist Church located in Downtown Houston with his wife Juanita. What began with 9 members in 1992, is now a church of over 9,000 members (30% were formerly homeless, and 40% of the total membership are in church for the first time as adults). Twenty years later St. John’s is one of the most culturally diverse congregations in the country where every week people of every social and economic background and ethnicity share the same pew. Laity can select from almost 20 afternoon workshops ranging from communication best practices to the nuts and bolts of church finance work. Registration and additional information
· The Northwest District-hosted training will take place at Lakeview Conference Retreat Center on January 28. For more information, contact Pat Travers at 903-593-1861.
The South District will conduct a district leadership training event on Saturday, January 26th from 9 to 11:30 am at Clear Lake UMC. The focus of the event is Investing in our Children and Youth and the keynote speaker will be Rev. Matt Idom.
· The 2013 Southwest District Leadership Training event "Year of the Young" will be held at St. Peter's UMC on January 26 from 8:45 am - 1:30 pm. Learn Best practices for investing in the young. Choose from 20 workshops. All laity are invited. Katy, St. Peter's UMC is located at 20775 Kingsland Boulevard in Katy, TX 77450.
The Southwest District is also offering classes for the primary committees of Trustee, SPRC and Finance. The classes will be held at First UMC, Missouri City, Texas on January 28. There will be an open panel discussion with representatives of small, medium and large congregation churches presenting best practices for vital congregations. There will also be classes regarding evangelism and empowering new leadership, incorporating new members and inspiring leaders to start new groups. Contact the district office at 281-499-3700 for additional information.
· The West District is offering L.E.A.D. Institute at Christ UMC, College Station on January 27. The keynote address will be given by Bishop Janice Riggle Huie. See Flyer For details contact Rev. Joy Richards at email@example.com.