General Conference Wrap-up
General Conference addressed a wide range of topics during its April 24-May 4 gathering.
- Retained the church’s position regarding homosexuality, deciding not to adopt language that would have said United Methodists are not of one mind on this issue;
- Did away with “guaranteed appointments” for clergy;
- Rejected a proposal for setting aside a bishop to serve as full-time president of the Council of Bishops;
- Entered into full communion with a number of historically black pan-Methodist denominations;
- Approved making the United Methodist Women an autonomous organization rather than operating it under the church's missions agency;
- Created a national ministry plan for Pacific Islanders;
- Adopted a $603.1 million budget for the 2013-2016 period; and
- Decided not to divest from three companies whose products are used by the Israeli military in the occupied Palestinian territories.