Centennial Celebration for Seabrook UMC
On Easter Sunday, April 16, 1911
God has richly blessed Seabrook UMC over the years, and the ministry of many great pastors and lay people has been vital stepping stones that have brought about this great milestone of 100 years in ministry. To mark this significant point in time, Seabrook will host a centennial celebration Sunday, April 17, 2011. Worship services will be held at 9 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. in the sanctuary. A reception and a time of fellowship will follow the Sunday school hour at 10 a.m. and following the 11:15 worship service, a barbeque lunch will be held on the church grounds.
In the Beginning
Seabrook UMC began as a non-denominational church in 1898, with church services and Sunday school being held in the
In the year of 1900, the church began using Methodist literature and the Epworth League (presently called UMYF) was organized. Church services were held on alternate Sundays with Reverend Phillips, a Methodist Minister, holding services on one Sunday and Reverend Oscar Smith, a Baptist Minister, the next.
The first church building was a small one-room wood frame building located on
In 1911 the church became officially known as the
The first parsonage was built in 1921 opposite the church building on
In 1956 the church moved from the
When the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) was opened, the church grew in membership, including a number of astronauts. Having some of the astronauts speak in the church brought some notoriety. The late Ed White was an active member of the church, working with the youth. Having received a gift of money, he presented it to the church as the beginning of a fund he hoped to see grow into a youth center for the area youth. He did not live to see his dream come true, but others carried it on for him. The Ed White Youth Center was built with the help of comedian Bob Hope and many other hardworking people along with donations from the family of Ed White.
In 1999, under the direction of Rev. Rick Goodrich, land was purchased for a new church campus at
The first service of worship after the hurricane was held on the new church property with Bishop Janice Riggle Huie in attendance, offering words of encouragement and support from the Annual Conference.
In February of 2009 the groundbreaking service kicked off the construction of phase 1, which was completed in time to celebrate our first Sunday of worship at the new church campus on September 13, 2009, the one year anniversary of Hurricane Ike.
The church continues to celebrate with a renewed sense of mission and purpose, serving the people of Seabrook and