Seeking a Faithful Response to the Immigration Debate
The Center for Missional Excellence invites all congregations of the Texas Annual Conference into a 40 day challenge in preparation for Pentecost
Acts 2 tells us that on the day of Pentecost, members of every nation under heaven were living in Jerusalem. When the Spirit descended on the fearful band of new believers huddled in the upper room, they went out and spoke with the members of all the nations about Jesus in ways that they could understand – in their own language.
As members of the Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, we have the unique privilege of living in a “21st Century Pentecost Moment.” The 2012 Census tells us that Houston, Texas is the most multi-ethnic city in the entire United States, and that that diversity is replicated in smaller but growing percentages throughout the TAC. God has literally assembled the nations in our midst and is calling us to reach them in the name of Christ by entering into their culture, speaking their language, and standing with them on justice issues that impact their lives.
The Preparing for Pentecost Challenge is an invitation to seek the Spirit’s leading, through the study of Scripture and prayer, about how we as the people of God are called to respond and speak to the need for immigration reform as a faithful witness to God’s justice and mercy for the stranger. Please join us and thousands of churches throughout the U.S. in this challenge.
When: Beginning Sunday April 7 and ending two days before Pentecost
How: Prayerfully read one of the attached scriptures each day for 40 days
- Attend one of the 2 immigration advocacy training workshops in May: Tuesday May 7, 5:30 – 9:00 pm, light dinner served First Conroe; Wednesday May 8, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. coffee and light refreshments served, Marvin UMC, Tyler.
- Look for follow up information at Annual Conference about how you might respond to the Spirit’s leading on behalf of the immigrants in our midst.
For more information on this nation-wide faith community challenge, and to see daily scriptures, go to http://evangelicalimmigrationtable.com/iwasastranger/
- 2016 Mission Project
- Golden Cross
- Helping the Homeless
- Human Trafficking
- Imagine No Malaria
- In Mission Together 50/50
- Local Schools
- Missional Contacts
- Missional Excellence Priorities
- Resources - Death Penalty
- Resources - Immigration
- Restorative Justice
- Volunteer Opportunity for Spanish Speakers
- ZOE Ministry