Volunteer Opportunity for Bilingual Spanish and English Speakers
We are in need of volunteer interpreters to assist pro bono attorneys with Spanish interpretation at the Karnes County Civil Detention Center. Please join our volunteer interpreter network and partner with pro bono legal attorneys from across the Houston area.
- Fully conversationally fluent in both English and Spanish
- The Karnes County Detention Center is roughly a 3 hour drive. Thus, volunteers will need to commit between 1 – 3 days of their time.
- Willing to accompany a pro bono attorney and interpret for up to six hours in the period of one day
- Willing to work with immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers, and/or victims of crime from Mexico and Central America.
- Watch the online training session at http://www.txcumc.org/volunteertrainingvideos.
- Fill out the availability form on our website.
- Return the completed form to the Center for Missional Excellence by fax (713-521-3724) or
e-mail to email@example.com.
- Serve as on call interpreter for Attorneys requiring your assistance at the Karnes County Civil Detention Center
- Maintain a professional demeanor when working with clients who have experienced trauma
This program gives volunteers the opportunity to exercise their language skills while serving a client and learning about the complexities of immigration. Volunteers will work directly with volunteer attorneys to secure legal protections for vulnerable women and children.
- 2016 Mission Project
- Golden Cross
- Helping the Homeless
- Human Trafficking
- Imagine No Malaria
- Local Schools
- Missional Contacts
- Missional Excellence Priorities
- Resources - Death Penalty
- Resources - Immigration
- Restorative Justice
- Volunteer Opportunity for Spanish Speakers
- ZOE Ministry